The household of an 11-year-old who died in Texas is suing energy firm Entergy and grid operator Electrical Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) for greater than $100 million, citing gross negligence over the boy’s dying. Cristian Pavon died on Tuesday after a frigid evening in his household’s cell dwelling in Conroe, Texas.
The house had been with out energy for the reason that Sunday earlier than.
As CBS Houston affiliate KHOU studies, the lawsuit claims Pavon died of hypothermia. A explanation for dying has but to be launched by health workers.
The household is being represented by legal professional Tony Buzbee. CBS Information has reached out for remark.
Pavon’s mom, Maria Elisa Pineda Guzman, mentioned the household had been sleeping in a single room to maintain heat. “He fell asleep. He had a shirt, a sweater, two pairs of pants, socks on,” Pavon’s aunt, Jaliza Yera, instructed Okay’HOU. His stepfather checked on him later that night and put one other blanket over him.
The household tried to get up Pavon on Tuesday afternoon however he was unresponsive. The household instructed KHOU that they tried calling 911 however have been ready on a Spanish-language operator.
KHOU obtained statements from Entergy and ERCOT in regards to the case. “We’re deeply saddened by the lack of life in our group. We’re unable to remark resulting from pending litigation,” Entergy responded.
ERCOT launched an announcement saying it had but to evaluation the lawsuit. “[We] will reply accordingly once we do. Our ideas are with all Texans who’ve or are struggling resulting from this previous week.”
“Nevertheless, as a result of roughly 46% of privately-owned turbines tripped offline this previous Monday morning, we’re assured that our grid operators made the proper option to keep away from a statewide blackout,” ERCOT mentioned.