Mikel Arteta says the Europa League is “all or nothing” for Arsenal forward of his aspect’s quarter-final first leg with Slavia Prague.
With the Gunners 10 factors off a top-four spot, successful the Europa League is their most sensible probability of taking part in in subsequent season’s Champions League.
“We wish to be within the semi-finals and we all know how vital the sport is for us,” added Arteta.
Full-back Kieran Tierney is dealing with as much as six weeks out with a knee harm.
Is Tierney’s season over?
At his pre-match convention on Wednesday, Arteta was unable to guarantee Arsenal supporters that Scotland defender Tierney will play for the membership once more this season.
The previous Celtic participant has began 23 league video games in 2020-21 however suffered the harm through the 3-0 defeat to Liverpool final weekend.
“We’ll must go day-to-day,” stated Arteta on Wednesday.
Martin Odegaard is a doubt for Thursday’s recreation with an ankle challenge whereas David Luiz (knee) is out, however Bukayo Saka (hamstring) and Emile Smith Rowe (thigh) return to the squad.
Granit Xhaka can also be out there after sickness.
Slavia Prague defender Ondrej Kudela is not going to be on the Emirates.
Kudela has been handed a provisional one-match ban after being accused of racially abusing Rangers midfielder Glen Kamara final month.
‘It is time to speak on the pitch’
Arteta admitted he was “in shock” after Saturday’s 3-0 Premier League loss to Liverpool.
The competition was so one-sided, debate turned rapidly as to whether Arsenal have improved underneath Arteta.
The Spaniard’s win share within the league from his first 50 video games in cost is simply 42 per cent.
Requested on Wednesday about his aspect’s possibilities of qualifying for the Champions League by way of the Premier League, Arteta stated: “Till it is mathematically unattainable, you must struggle.
“There isn’t a different method to do it. We’ve got to be sensible with the place we’re within the league and it is extraordinarily troublesome.
“Nevertheless it’s mathematically doable so we have now to stay to that.”
Sky Sports activities pundit Gary Neville tore into Arsenal throughout Monday Night time Soccer claiming they’d gamers who “seemed like a bit of mafia” and there “was a disconnect with them and the supervisor”.
“I believe we have now to respect each opinion,” added Arteta.
“When there may be criticism coming after the way in which we performed towards Liverpool, we have now to take it on the chin as a result of it is absolutely deserved for the way in which that we performed.
“It is time to speak on the pitch and present what we will do.”
- The one earlier matches between Arsenal and Slavia Prague in European competitors had been within the group phases of the 2007-08 Champions League – Arsenal gained 7-0 at dwelling earlier than drawing 0-0 away.
- In all European competitors Arsenal are unbeaten towards Czech opposition (W7 D1 L0), protecting seven clear sheets in eight matches.
- Slavia Prague will turn out to be the primary crew to face three British opponents (Leicester, Rangers and Arsenal) within the knockout rounds of a European competitors since AC Milan within the 2006-07 Champions League (Celtic, Man Utd and Liverpool).
- That is Arsenal’s sixteenth quarter-final tie in main European competitors, progressing from 9 of the earlier 15.
- Fifteen totally different gamers have scored for Arsenal within the Europa League this season (personal targets excluded).